Facts of the Month

Citizenship, Permanent Resident Status & Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

Students who wish to file a FAFSA must be a U.S. Citizen or U. S. Permanent Resident.  Students who have applied for and received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals are not eligible to complete a FAFSA.  Deferred Action only allows the student to receive employment authorization, it is not a path to citizenship or permanent resident status.  Students who want to apply for Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status will find the application and information at, http://www.uscis.gov/.  The website with information about Deferred Action is, http://www.dhs.gov/deferred-action-childhood-arrivals. “Dreamers” are encouraged to contact the college they want to attend to see if there may be other scholarships or financial aid, that do not require the completion of the FAFSA. 

Publication Date: March 2014